Basic Info on Lifting Threads

Thread lift procedurds have been gaining traction of late because they are minimally invasive with little to no down time, most common side effects being bruising and swelling. Threads are passed into the skin via a needle. The ideal placement being in the skin's subcutaneous layer. When in this plane there is no pain more so if too deep and less so if too shallow. 


Depending on the thread and placement noticeable lifting may occur, however the real "magic" happens over time when the body creates collagen to break down the dissolvable suture, making for a more natural looking lift while tightening the skin. This lasts for approximately 6 months. Sound good? I think so, however it takes a lot of threads to create the collagen needed to really make a difference. At an average rate of $120 a thread or $2500 for your face in office per treatment that's a cost that I just cannot justify. So I have made the decision to insert these threads myself.


Choosing thread size and type depends on experience level. A beginner is best to first try polydioxanone sutures also known as PDO threads. This is a thread that is more user friendly because it is smooth and can be readjusted if needed. 

Next there are Polycaprolactone commonly known as PCL threads. These are more durable and last as long as 2 years.

L-Lactic Acid (PLLA) threads probably produce the most benefit to skin especially tightening and lifting sagging skin, but can be uncomfortable and be felt when inserted in high movement areas. These are the type of threads I currently have no interest in using.

To choose a thread you must determine the gauge and needle length. The higher the gauge the smaller the diameter of the needle. 
There are many types of threads such as cog, screw, multi and more but I'll leave my discussion on those for another post, maybe when I'm brave enough to try them, lol. After some research the easiest threads to start with are 29 or 30 gauge x 25mm PDO mono threads. These can be used almost anywhere. I plan on using some in my face soon and will be sure to share my experience when I do!





*Please note that I am not a doctor, nurse or aesthetician. Anything shared is not for educational purposes but to document my own experience for future reference.







  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Hydrating Cleansing Oil

New Year's Resolution: A Giveaway!

BH Cosmetics Carli Bybel Deluxe Palette and Giveaway